Taxis are frequent. You can find them in stations (called piatsa) in Greece or you can stop one on the road. To flag a taxi, you stand on the sidewalk, raise your hand when a taxi passes by and look at the driver in the eyes. Some may stop and wait for you to get in. Others will stop and you are expected to tell the driver your destination. If he doesn't like your destination, he will just leave and you have to look for another cab.
Do not be surprised if you share a taxi with other people. In Athens, it is illegal to get as many passengers as the taxi can get but the practice is common. It is possible that you are in a taxi and the driver stops to ask other people where they are going. If the route fits, these other people will come on board. However, you don't share the fare, each one pays individual taxi fare.
Night hours fares. Have in mind that fares are doubled at night hours (12 pm- 6 am).
The taxi meter must be turned on. When you get in a taxi, the driver usually sets the meter. If he doesn't do it, ask him to, so that you avoid excessive and illegal costs. Sometime on islands or remote location, taxi fares are fixed so you will always pay the same amount from one point to another. Just ask before in order to avoid surprises. Also be aware that you have to pay some extra euro for the luggage.
Ask info from taxi or bus drivers. Do not hesitate to ask info from taxi or bus drivers. Even if some don't feel like talking, they will eventually answer you showing you the way.
Taxi Fares in Athens
Taxi rates are the same all over Greece. The only difference you may encounter is at the pickup charge from Airports. Those are mentioned below along with all other legal charge for taxi transfers in Greece:
• Starting charge: 1,19 €
• Daytime charge (tariff 1) : 0,68 €/km. Day time charge applies from 05:00 to 24:00. The taximeter should be at tariff 1.
• Night-time charge: 1,19 €/km. Night time charge applies from 24:00 to 05:00. The taximeter should be at tariff 2.
• Extra charge for every luggage heavier than 10 kg: 0,40 €
• Minimum charge for Athens and Thessaloniki: 3,16 €
• Minimum charge for the rest of the country: 3,00 €
• Pick up charge for ports, bus and train terminals: 1,07 €
• Extra charge form/to Thessaloniki airport (includes motorway tolls): 2.80 €
• Pick up charge form/to other airports (includes motorway tolls): 2.30 €
• At Christmas and Easter time an extra 1-2 Euro is charged as present.
• Per hour waiting charge: 10,85 €/h.